OverviewTwo of the most "technical" trails of the lower foothills (with the exception of some of the Table Rock trails) are combined into one, this loop provides the perfect sampling of everything that the Boise Foothills have to offer. Regardless of where you start, this trail will bring you from paved road to one or two obstacles that most people have to walk/carry their bikes over.
This trail starts off at or near Camels Back Park and rides up Hulls Gulch, over 8th street, then down Bob's Trail (Crane Creek). There is one super obstacle going up Hulls Gulch that is rideable the other direction, but would be nearly impossible going up. Coming down Bob's trail there is another super obstacle that most people choose to dismount for, but it is definitely rideable.
Trail DescriptionThere are 4 legs to this trail:
1) The Warm-Up (Blue)
2) Hulls Gulch (Red)
3) Crane Creek/Bob's Trail (Yellow)
4) Pavement (Green)
View Larger Map
The first leg is all on relatively flat ground and serves for an ideal warm-up for the riding to come.
- From the Parking area, go east on Hurd
- Watch for trail on extreme east end of park, turn left on trail
- Follow trail keeping right until you get to a parking area
- Cross paved 8th street and follow trail still keeping right until
you can see a building to your left...take a left at this fork
- At about mile 1.7, you'll come back out onto 8th Street (gravel)
- Come out on Road then immediately back onto singletrack to the right
The second leg starts where you briefly enter back on to 8th Street. From here, it is more strenuous and much more technical (although the technical level is still very rideable).
- 1.9 - Sandy section
- From the sandy section, you will find short steeps and many rocks
- 3.0 - major obstacle: rocky outcropping that technical coming down
but I've never seen anyone even attempt riding up it
- 3.5 - Junction of Crestline and ATV trail, keep left!
- 4.0 - Top of the ride
- From parking area driveway, look for trail directly across 8th street
- Continue down this trail (Crane Creek Connector Trail)
- 4.7 - At bottom of the first good decent, watch for Bob's Trail to left
- 5.1 - Major obstacle. Steep rocky outcropping. Tough, but rideable.
- 5.8 - Trail opens up and you will come to an area with a park bench
and a road to the left...go straight down a rocky singletrack
- 6.4 - End of dirt trail
The third leg is all pavement and is the last 3-ish miles of the ride. Its almost all downhill and you get to go fast.
- Follow these streets to get back to your vehicle:
- Highlands Ave.
- Hill Road
Where to Park!There are several options as to where to park. Two options on 8th Street, or you can park right at Camels Back Park. For this trail report's purposes, I'll start at Camels Back. This parking location is also the closest to Hyde Park and Lucky 13 for a post-ride beer!
View Larger Map
If you would rather park at one of the 8th Street Parking options, take a look at the Boise Foothills area page and view the "Where to Start your Ride" details there.