Make your own Bender Fender mudguard
One of my friends recently bought a brilliant mudguard. It is as simple as can be, made of a bent plastic folio, and attached to the fork just over the front wheel. It is discrete and can be removed at any time. No mention about the negligible weight.
So, kind of jealous not to have the same (I have a rear one but in some occasions a front one is cruelly missing), I asked him about the brand in the evening, and found it costs approximately 10E in bike shops. Which isn't a lot, but I thought why the hell giving money for something so simple... And on a rainy Saturday at home with nothing to do...
Well, some may charge me of plagiarism, but hey, if we start copyrighting such simple things, come on... And contrary to what I initially decided, I resigned from the idea of copying the shape of my friend's one, to feel less guilty and more deserving. What's more, I decided that I would design my own shape.
There are two front "Bender Fender" mudguards on the market, a short one covering only the rear half, and a long one going equally far forward. Which I find a bit too long. Mine would be a mix of the two, half-long on the front.
First I wondered how should I draw the curve. I decided to start with an A4 sheet of paper. It turned out it was not large enough when set in the longest side, so I turned it, and it was perfect: the total width of a Bender Fender with its legs is about 30cm. The material I found for my mudguard was a rigid bottom of shopping bag, kind of old but perfect.
First I draw a template on the paper sheet. To make it symmetric when cutting with scissors, I fold it in two. The curve is an approximate sinusoid, not too narrow, not too pronounced. If you are not sure, better make it too large as a first try, you can correct it after-while.
Then I marked with a pen the position of holes, maintaining in the meantime the shape as close as possible to the fork thanks to an old clothe between the wheel and the mudguard.
In the original version, the sides are held by Velcro stripes, and plastic fasteners, but I didn't have any of these immediately at home, so I opted for black electric tape, and slices of an old inner tube, whose nodes I placed below to be less visible.
I must say now that my mudguard looks nice ! Due to the multiple spots where it is fastened, it is really rigid and nothing should really twist it, unless I fall or something. Now I just need to ride in mud !