Welcome to MBPost!  -
Areas & Bike ParksTrailsRacesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsOtherPeopleWhat's NewForum

Centennial Cone - which direction?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Colorado.

Centennial Cone - which direction?

Postby Tadas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm planning on riding Centennial Cone for the first time Monday (7/4/11) morning and was wondering which direction on the loop would be best to take? I don't mind hills or a good downhill.

I'll be starting at the Centennial Cone Rd. trailhead.

Thanks - Todd
Tadas

Postby Visentin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Seen the 2 pages ?
http://www.mbpost.com/trail/262305/centennial-cone.html
http://www.mbpost.com/article/273331/ce ... -cone.html
Unfortunately their authors are inactive since long on this site.
Have a look to the bike log too :
http://www.mbpost.com/object_discussion ... _id=262305
Perhaps jeremyhakes can advise you, he's the only active member.
Visentin

Postby Tadas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks Visentin for the links. I actually did look through all of those posts and trip reports, but none of them (that I could find) said anything about direction - clockwise or CC. If I don't hear from anyone by Sunday, I'll ask someone at the trailhead or I'll just have to try it both ways on a couple trips.

I would like to come ride with you sometime! I'm Lithuanian and lived in Lithuania for a couple years back in the mid - 90's and all of your trip reports bring back memories of those areas. I traveled across Poland several times. I wish Lithuania had more hills, but the beer out there is awesome.

Keep those trip/trail reports coming!!
Tadas

Postby Visentin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Lithuania, sounds nice ! Haven't been there (neither northern Poland too !) but heard about nice ecosystems in the neighborhood of our Rospuda, sure it's a must-do for cyclotouring and things like that !
As for your clockwise issue, I often ask myself the same question before going to unknown places... I'm a map lover and that's a part of my pleasure of riding the unknown ! (I live in PL but I am... french :) ) I usually choose depending on the following in order to "optimize" the fun.:
- steepest parts (or at least as much as possible) are better ridden down
- portions with easiest surfaces (asphalt, large tracks) should be used as much as possible for climbs instead of the opposite
Sometimes eight-shaped loops make the trick to sort out all as wished, but some other times
it just can't be perfect and is all about compromises; as you say it needs to be tried couple of times both ways to get a reliable opinion...
Visentin

Postby BeDrinkable » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Tadas, HERE is some opinion on what each direction might give you. I'd agree with Eric, shoot a PM to JeremyHawkes and if he's on before Monday he could hopefully give you a personal recomendation. Have fun!
BeDrinkable

Postby Tadas » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the link. Comments were helpful but despite some of the recommendations to go clockwise, I went counter-clockwise. After reviewing the profile, I thought it would be best to get some downhill at the end to cool off. Overall, the trail was 11-12 miles of fun. Exposure is "exciting" in areas of this ride and plenty of blind corners. Get there early - by 7:30am about 75% of the parking spots at Centennial Cone rd were taken.
Tadas

Postby jeremyhakes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:27 am

Best to start at Mayhem off of hwy 6. Most fun!
jeremyhakes

Return to Colorado