Welcome to MBPost!  -
Areas & Bike ParksTrailsRacesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsOtherPeopleWhat's NewForum

Tire thread.

Gear-related questions, advice, and experiences. An ideal place to post classifieds, as well.

Tire thread.

Postby BeDrinkable » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:54 am

This thread is intended to share information about tires, recommendations, advices, things to avoid etc. I have also created a public album for tire pics HERE. So if you have anything, post 'em up!. I'll start with a couple.
BeDrinkable

Kenda Nevegals

Postby BeDrinkable » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 am

Kenda Nevegals: I was a little leery of these at first, mostly because you can find a variety of opinions on the net about these. But hey, that's just about everything. I've been pleasantly surprised. They are fairly sticky, so grip over root does not seem to be an issue (But I will note that I have not ridden in very wet conditions yet). They seem to excel at swimming through sand and loose soil. I have lost traction a few times over the rocky hardpack that we have a lot of around here, but frankly it is hard to find a tire that will grip that stuff.

Who's it for: anyone looking for a decent tire for looser soil and price is no option.
Who's should avoid it: weight weenies or cheapskates.

Last edited by BeDrinkable on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeDrinkable

Forte Pisgah

Postby BeDrinkable » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 am

Forte Pisgah:
So, here's an update for anyone curious. I have a year on these tires under my belt now. They really shine in certain conditions. Loose soil, dry dirt, slightly rocky soil. If you get them muddy, they shed better than Nevegals. They are a pretty hard tire, so not so great for big rocks or slickrock. They have a tendency to bounce off rather than conform to a rock surface. For a cheapo tire though, I'm really impressed with them. I have not lost traction while climbing, except in sand. They're relatively light, and cheap! Wire bead and folding, 2.1 and 2.3 versions. I recommend.

Last edited by BeDrinkable on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BeDrinkable

Postby AnimalFromSpace » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Good thread!!

When I hought the bike used last year, the tires looked kinda beat. But Maxxis Ignitors have a good rep in the racing world.

On another forum, I found some of the racers there, modify the center of the tire to knock off the back edges of the knobbies. Seems that's what had been done to mine.

The sidewalls are thin, no doubt to keep them light for racing. So I've taken at least one thorn flat. I replaced one of them with a new Ignitor. I like the 2.35 width.
AnimalFromSpace

Postby RayMondo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 pm

I know one thing - knobblies let go without warning on damp roads.
RayMondo

Postby ferday » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am

i'll post pics maybe when my work schedule settles down...i'm a self confessed tire freak and often change tires for each ride depending on where. these are opinions of course, everyone's tire preference depends on their terrain and riding style. i'll stick with 29er offerings for this post.

kenda nevegal 29 2.2: better than the 26er version, but heavy, slow, and good at everything great at nothing. good choice for your all-round bike that may see a variety of conditions or for a bike trip where you are unsure of trail surface. good front or rear, run backwards in the rear. can run very low pressures. tubeless=easy

maxxis ignitor 29 2.1: fast for a grippy tire, fantastic dry conditions rear tire with consistent braking response, packs up immediately in the wet. not my favorite front tire, especially in loose...but acceptable for a fast setup and makes a great XC race tire. wears very well and maintains grip right to the bitter end. prefers higher pressures. tubeless=frustrating

maxxis crossmark 29 2.1: so fast, so light, shocking climbing grip...not a bad front tire if you are a highly skilled rider and need to go really, really fast in the climbs. wears average...but low profile tread means low lifetimes. great multi-conditions tire for pavement/gravel/dirt machines if you can afford to replace often. stay dry with this one! tubeless=frustrating

WTB stout 29 2.3: simply my second favorite front tire ever (behind the venerable maxxis minion) strong consistent cornering in hard to loose and wet to dry conditions, predictable braking, and unparalleled mud clearing. loves quick corners in rocky terrain, and highly predictable on wet roots. excellent traction in the rear but heavy (1kg) so i don't bother...prefers low pressures. wears average. tubeless=easy

IRC Fire XC 29 2.1: one of the best 26" tires ever (panaracer fire XC) makes an even better 29er tire...stunning grip as a rear tire with acceptable front tire performance. really good braking response and great in loose conditions...although it doesn't clear mud that well. wears terribly, often the knobs rip off before the tire is worn. prefers higher pressures. tubeless=best ever

WTB kodiak 29 2.5: a truly massive tire at 29x2.5, grips like mad both front and rear. hardcore setups only...this beast is well over 1kg per tire. good in the wet and dry, hard to loose with stunning cornering. prefers low pressures. only a true beast will be able to move this as a rear tire. wears ok despite the soft rubber. tubeless=frustrating

maxxis ardent 29 2.4: the most amazing volume/weight ratio i've ever experienced...loves extremely low pressures...great all conditions grip in the front, with highly predictable cornering and braking. doesn't clear mud great, but functions fantastically on wet roots and rocks. surprisingly terrible as a rear tire, great descending/braking but awful climbing traction. wears very well. tubeless=easy

continental MTN king 29 2.4: one of my favorite rear tires ever for all conditions, very light with a high volume casing. prefers higher pressure. clears extremely well and adapts to all trail surfaces well, loves standup climbing (i think due to the really soft lugs). dangerous front tire, with unpredictable folding of the corner lugs when pushed too hard. wears terribly fast. tubeless=easy

panaracer rampage 29 2.3: like the nevegal...but faster and lighter. highly predictable, and good everywhere...but not great anywhere. works front or rear, simply flip the direction. can take pretty low pressure and wears reasonably well. doesn't clear mud well, but good enough to make it a nice all-rounder that i prefer to the nevegal for an unknown conditions tire. tubeless=easy

WTB nanoraptor 29 2.1: at 2.1, the narrow offering in the bunch. simply the best multi surface tire ever produced in my opinion, great for monstercross/gravel grinder/commuter rides. as a rear tire, can make a great fast XC choice for a true MTB. not recommended for wet trails although it handles wet roads great. wears like iron! i built an entire bike around this tire. tubeless=?

WTB exiwolf 29 2.3: heavy but fast tire, works great front or rear but don't lean it over...a lack of real side knobs leaves this one for high grip, dry trails (like slickrock). likes low pressure, and might be impossible to pinch flat. wears like iron. tubeless=frustrating

WTB weirwolf 29 2.5: fast for a seriously high volume tire, fantastic on dry, smoother hardpack but loses grip quickly on loose or wet, front and rear, climbing and braking. likes very low pressure. wears quickly due to the low profile knobs. tubeless=easy

WTB prowler 29 2.1: common as an OEM tire. cheap to buy, with average performance but consistent in all conditions. wears well and corners better than most entry level tires. good fast dry conditions tire and ok as a front or rear. likes high pressure. tubeless=easy

maxxis minion 26 2.5: ok, it's a 26er...but if you are riding hard AM, FR, or DH and you aren't riding a minion...well then you aren't riding to your potential! the best all conditions front tire ever made, i've used this thing on every trail surface in North America and it's always perfect. just had to plug it. likes higher pressure. a great rear tire for descending...too heavy to make a good climber.
ferday

Postby BeDrinkable » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:54 pm

ferday wrote:[b]IRC Fire XC 29 2.1: one of the best 26" tires ever (panaracer fire XC) makes an even better 29er tire...stunning grip as a rear tire with acceptable front tire performance. really good braking response and great in loose conditions...although it doesn't clear mud that well. wears terribly, often the knobs rip off before the tire is worn. prefers higher pressures. tubeless=best ever

When you get around to the 26ers, could you expand on the Panaracer? I've come very close to picking them up several times but have been scared off by their reputation for losing knobs spontaneously.

Interesting to me, I have a fairly high opinion of the WTB Prowler (only a few rides), but I know they are generally considered medium performers. But I have an iron butt so everything feels the same.
BeDrinkable

Postby ferday » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 pm

BeDrinkable wrote:
ferday wrote:[b]IRC Fire XC 29 2.1: one of the best 26" tires ever (panaracer fire XC) makes an even better 29er tire...stunning grip as a rear tire with acceptable front tire performance. really good braking response and great in loose conditions...although it doesn't clear mud that well. wears terribly, often the knobs rip off before the tire is worn. prefers higher pressures. tubeless=best ever

When you get around to the 26ers, could you expand on the Panaracer? I've come very close to picking them up several times but have been scared off by their reputation for losing knobs spontaneously.

Interesting to me, I have a fairly high opinion of the WTB Prowler (only a few rides), but I know they are generally considered medium performers. But I have an iron butt so everything feels the same.

since they are so easy to find cheap (although beware: there are two version of the fireXC, a japanese high thread count version and an el-cheapo low thread count version) it's always good to have a couple hanging around. i much prefer them as a rear tire, consistent grip and good braking. yes, they can lose knobs (so does the nevegal...) which would be a bigger problem if they weren't so cheap.

a better rear 26er tire is the panaracer cinder, which is a fireXC with larger knobs basically. fantastic climbing and braking grip...reasonable front tire in a pinch as well and i've never lost a tread on one.
ferday

Postby Visentin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Nice thread, despite my own experience with real good tires is now only limited to GEAX... but yes they are good ! my father got a Meczal and shares the same opinion.
Visentin

Postby BeDrinkable » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Kenda Small Block 8: Ok, here's a quickie. Disclaimer is I only have a little time on these. Similar compound as the Nevegals (may be exactly the same, not sure). Traction is not an issue. Grip well in loose conditions, over roots, rocks. Exceptional in dry conditions. DO NOT USE IN WET. They do not shed mud like, at all. These are extremely popular locally as a rear with the Nevegal in front.

For: use a rear tire in dry conditions.
Not for: front tire or in mud, ever. It will spin out from under you and gum up right quick.

BeDrinkable

Postby Visentin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 am

Updated the Ghetto Tubeless page with photos that give a better idea of the operation.
http://www.mbpost.com/view_object.php?object_id=264737
Plus two excellent videos found on Youtube I added in the end.
Poles are always keen in experimenting for saving money, Ghetto Tubeless is spreading through Poland as fast as lightning !
Visentin

Postby BeDrinkable » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Nice additions! People have found ways to modify almost any wheel to a ghetto tubeless. Although there are still a few tires that resist the transformation. My wheels - WTB LaserDiscs - are a little more time consuming than most due to a deep channel that should be filled. One neat trick is to use the foam strips for sealing doors. It seems to fit like a charm! At any rate, HERE is part two of a video on one way to convert these wheel to tubeless.
BeDrinkable

Postby Visentin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:37 pm

BeDrinkable wrote:One neat trick is to use the foam strips for sealing doors.

Incredible ! Never thought of it. I may do it on my commuting bike. Tired of flats while commuting in the city !

As for ghetto, I'm just at the beginning of my ghetto lifestyle, and I must say we did it perhaps more for fun and by curiosity. I told my dad on the phone "hey, the blue bike is now tubeless !" and he couldn't believe it :). Many fellows here in my cycling mates already made the same, it's fun to see how it's spreading...
Visentin

Return to Equipment