Welcome to MBPost!  -
Areas & Bike ParksTrailsRacesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsOtherPeopleWhat's NewForum

Brakes - Three Brakes, Three Levers

Gear-related questions, advice, and experiences. An ideal place to post classifieds, as well.

Brakes - Three Brakes, Three Levers

Postby RayMondo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 am

Need suggestions for installing a third brake. Reason, front brakes provide most of the stopping power, so a second front brake for safety in case of cable failure on steep descents :shock: .

Ideas: One calliper brake and one disc brake. Each with its own lever. The bar clamp for second lever could fit close to the existing bar clamp, and the lever tilted below the existing lever. Thus, if cable fails, then its lever will be slack, therefore, the hand can squeeze the lever below it - without needing to change hand position at speed.

Second idea: Use one front lever for both cables, using a twin-cable lever. Problem - existing levers include gear change, and has one single brake cable. So, more costly to replace parts.

More ideas are welcome
RayMondo

Re: Brakes - Three Brakes, Three Levers

Postby AnimalFromSpace » Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 pm

I'd put the extra one in the back. Lock up the front - esp on a steep descent - and over the handlebars.

I like the fixie stop.

AnimalFromSpace

Re: Brakes - Three Brakes, Three Levers

Postby RayMondo » Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 pm

A nice vid. I used to ride a fixed wheel track bike for road racing. It had the front brake. My best times were achieved on one.

As for a third brake. It ought to be the front because if the front cable goes on a steep descent (I'm talking road), it would be impossible to stop if heading towards a curve. The big descents I recently made, bottomed out in 1 in 4 gradient, with hairpins. Hence my idea to add one.

I work on it sometime and post it up.
RayMondo

Return to Equipment